Friday, August 29, 2014

Letter to him D1

Linh Dieu Lam
Samantha Bell
Honors COMP I
29 August 2014
A Messed Up Love
Dear you,
Hey, how ya been? We haven't spoken in a while. Yeah, we ran into each other earlier this month at Carthage but we didn't exchange words, only glances - afraid to make eye contact. I thought in the 22 months since we've last met the emotions wouldn't be as strong but I was wrong. I knew there was the possibility that we would cross paths there but I push the thought aside because this was a Vietnamese event all the way in Joplin. The event lasted from Thursday morning until Sunday night, there were thousands of people, and the area was dark and vast. The chances were slim. I was in the front row, recording and snapping shots of the performers and having a good time until I spotted a familiar face on the other side of the crowd. I had to do a double take. Was that the face that haunted my dreams for months on end? Was that the face I loved so dearly? My chest tightened, adrenaline racing through my veins and a blurred vision I scoped around for an escape. Unable to fee, I had to swallow the tears and clutch onto my crumbling mask.
My eyes would flicker from the performers back to your face. You were still sporting that dark caramel hairstyle and the nerdy glasses you picked out to match with mine. You've filled out, in a nice way. There's a saying that when people are happy in relationships they gain weight. Is that true? You're happy with her? I scanned the crowd but I didn't see her - one less worry off my mind.
I could not continue living without you, or so I believed. I found myself in you, so losing you meant losing me as well. No one suspected that I would be the one dumped. They all thought it would be the other way around since it seemed as though I yield power in the relationship. What they didn’t realize is that you weren't perfect either. You would scream, scoff, growl, throw and bangs things violently, and kept me crying in your room – begging you to let me leave.
But I still held on, wanting to believe the boy I fell in love was somewhere in there. I relied completely on you. You were my best friend; you were the one I envisioned my future with, walking down the aisle and having children of our own. You were my mirror. I was closer to your family than my own. I felt as though my family was too critical and pessimistic so I connected to yours with greater ease. Surrounding and submerging myself in you and your life, I lost who I was.
It was my fault. I shouldn’t have gotten jealous; I shouldn’t have gotten insecure when you started spending less time with me, opting to chill with other pretty ladies. I should have cut off my friendship to other male friends. I should have dressed up more. I should’ve done more than decorate your room in apologies, cards, and gifts. It wasn’t enough to get off an 8 hour shift and drive to your house just to spend time with you until 2AM. My love was never enough because you were already sick of me.
I sunk in the abyss of depression. Everything was tasteless with a hint of bitterness. The world was bleak and silent. An honor roll student dropped to a barely passing student. Work became my sanctuary; alcohol was my daily pain killer, chugging down a bottle or two to wash away the tears. I lost my focus, thoughts wandering to a fantasy. I couldn’t bear a life without your essence so I attempted to end it. I failed, pulled back by my mother who I couldn’t open up to. Broken and tired, I cried in her arms without explanation while my 7 year old sister and 6 year old brother looked upon a sister who they’ve never seen shed tears, frighten and lost.
Nobody wanted to be there for me. All of our mutual friends, even the ones who had gotten to known me first turned their back to me. I was an outsider, scorn and judged. You were the perfect one. I, the corrupted. I heard from others that in the past when we were still together you would bag on me so it was you who tarnished my image, calling me a psycho bitch when I tried to prove my sincerity. I may have pointed out your flaws from time to time but whenever anyone dared speak ill of you, I came to your defense. 
You weren’t there for us though. I carried the burden of isolation, of the duties, and the nightmares of a murder instead of a beautiful child. You denied your child, doubting the truth, hoping that the issue would disappear. Only after that the deed was done that you showed remorse, stating that it was yours too. Bullshit. You were busy partying. Yeah, that’s right. I heard that you got drunk and was all over other girls. You never cared. Do you even know how old your child would be now? 15 fucken months and you would still be the same deadbeat you are now.
Then you got together with your cousin’s former girlfriend, who still had feelings for his former girlfriend. When we were together and they had issues, I never said shit about her yet she had the audacity to spit venom in my direction when we split. Excuse me? I drove that bitch’s ass home in during the devil’s hour after work for you. If I had known I would have left her stranded to die.  The witch brainwashed you to get over me faster, that you needed to take everything I’ve given you and burn it. How maleficent. She plays the victim card, afraid that I’d beat the shit out of her so she has to call up all these other people to safeguard her. Damn, she must have had a lot of time but funny thing is she never directly contacted me when she had the resources. Then again, I may kill her.
I hate you, I hate you for the things you’ve done to me but I love you for what you’ve given me. I’ll never lose myself too deeply in the illusion of love. My anger for you has motivated me to succeed. Scrap the bullshit of being a perfect housewife; I don’t cook for anyone anymore. I will have my revenge in reminding you of my success whether it is for harvesting the most DNA strands from pea plants, winning a scholarship overseas to be an ambassador, or obtaining my cosmetology license a couple of months after graduating high school. You’re still asking your mom for allowance, unmotivated to become anything in life.
I hope you get better. I hope you get off your ass and actually work a decent paying job. I hope that one day you’ll be happy and successful – but not more than me, that you’ll find the one who will mend your heart from the things I’ve put you through and keep a smile upon your face. I’m sure you’re curious as to what I’ve been up to since I can see you silently checking up on me from time to time. I’ve curious about you too but I don’t want to see something that’ll only cause me more pain so I avoid it. I still care about you; I still love you but not like how I use to. I hope you live well.
Sincerely,

The faded past.