Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Squandered dreams.

I don't understand why my mom forbids me to become a physician/doctor. She thinks I won't succeed because I won't be able to handle the workload as well as the years needed to invest as well as tuition. First off, science - especially biology/genetics - is my best subject, I can handle math I just need to concentrate harder than I would in other subjects. Biology is my favorite subject and I excel in it. It's financially stable and pays well. Nursing has similar factors as a physician I don't want to become a nurse. The teaching model would be based on a nursing model instead of a medicine model like with a physician's. Sure, the path to become a physician is longer and more strenuous but that's what I'm passionate about. Nursing is great but I don't think I'll enjoy doing that for life. I take interest in dynamic settings such as: analyzing bacterial growth and learning about diseases, mutations, and DNA/RNA. I don't want to do paperwork or gathering patient's blood pressure and what not. She's not going to pay for my tuition either so I don't understand why she's worried about it either. I'm committed, I want to be in the healthcare field but I do not want to have monotonous days at work filling prescriptions or just gathering information about the patients' and handing it over to the doctor. Yes, pre-med/pharmacy school and residency will take a large chunk of my time and devotion but I believe I can make it. I will help out and manage the family business but I want to have a career and invest in it as well.
Speaking of which, the new Chinese restaurant tried to recruit me today but I already had a job sooo..yeah.