Monday, December 10, 2012

Japanese assignments


A Successful, Meaningful Experience
            Success is the achievement of something desired or attempted. A successful travel experience doesn’t mean arriving at the destination and doing what was planned but rather enjoying the time spent in a foreign land and being able to learn and connect with the culture there. Whether it is small or grand; every experience is meaningful. Being able to travel is a wonderful privilege and the amount of knowledge an individual is able to take from the trip is far greater than the amount one could obtain from within a classroom setting. Traveling to a foreign land should allow the visitor to be aware of the cultural differences and integrate themselves into the culture by trying to adapt, learn the manners, and understand how matters are viewed by the host country.  
            Traveling allow connections to be created and foreign relations to develop. My family loves to travel and the love for traveling has been kindled by them. I love to travel because of the experiences I encounter and the knowledge I obtain from different cultures and experiences because each one enriches my life even more. Not only does it give me another sense of the atmosphere but when I take in the surrounding sounds, smells, and sights of the area it creates a sense of familiarity that I can relate back to in the future. As an individual I am responsible but also a social butterfly and am able to relate matters easily and efficiently. Since I am able to pick up on things fairly quickly I will be able to associate the things I would have learned from the tour and share it with others in the US. The stereotypes of another nation would gradually decrease as more information about it is spread to others. The appreciation for other nations and their information of culture would be known more by others. I would break the ice easily because I’m a bubbly, outgoing person but at the same time I’m cautious of rules and regulations. My presence will make the already pleasurable time humorous and less dull on the way to the destination with my silliness. I know my limits and will back off when others have had enough and are worn out because everybody needs their rest and at times formal etiquette is required.
            Traveling is helpful in learning because it is a “hands on” experience which enables students to retain lessons longer and better. They refer back to the memories and the information they experienced stick to them long because they lived through it.  If I am chosen as one of the twenty three students able to be part of the Kizuna project, I will be grateful for the chance to not disappoint the people who sponsored this trip but also to the teachers. All traveling experiences are meaningful and impact individuals because it becomes a part of who they are and what they could become.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Traveling Experience

            I traveled domestically to Texas, Nebraska, Illinois, Arkansas, and California. Texas was a road trip with my family to visit friends and relatives down south. Nebraska was to go sight - seeing and visit the Omaha Zoo. Illinois, Arkansas, and California were lay overs which allowed me to go out to the city for a while and explore. I have traveled to Singapore, Japan, Russia, Canada, South Korea, China, and Vietnam. Japan was one of the stops my family made before we arrived in the US to start a new life so I don’t remember much. During the trips to Vietnam to visit relatives our flights had lay overs of four hours to twelve hours so we would often get restless and go out to sight-see and experience the cultural differences and the difficult language barriers.  The long hours gave me the ability to have patience, be aware of my surrounds to not lose items or get lost, and gave me in sight of other nations’ cultures and values and how they interacted. I had a wonderful time traveling and each time I travel it deepens my passion for exploring the world and finding out more about others who live underneath the same sky as me.