Monday, June 24, 2013

COB Essay

My Courage To Believe, Flourish, and Bloom.

Plato once quoted, “the learning and knowledge that we have, is, at the most, but little compared with that of which we are ignorant.” One’s ability to hold knowledge is limited yet the capability to learn and obtain is vast.  I desire this scholarship because I want to have an opportunity to influence the world and be more than a walking shell.

As a child, I did not have any dreams nor did I know where I was headed in life. From my earliest days, I knew only of poverty, surviving, and harshness of reality. I was physically and verbally bullied because I was from a poor family, an immigrant who couldn’t speak proper English, who wore odd clothes and always lacked materials. At school assemblies and awards, my parents would always be absent because they couldn’t afford to take a day off. My efforts, my achievements would go unnoticed by them yet they would continue to compare and criticize me. I was a lifeless shell, living day by day until I reached middle school. I discovered the power of knowledge and the kindness humanity still possessed in a rare amount of individuals. I submerged myself in books from then on and my perspective of life changed. I didn’t want to live just to benefit myself. The information I crave for is to benefit the community’s health and environment, I want to prove myself to those who lacked faith and those who believed.